BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Friday, April 3, 2009

Let There Be No Light!

It's after 8am right now in Vegas and the sun that's rising in the east should be clearly visible from my northeast facing bedroom window. Since being forced back to swing shift, my usual bedtime is now anywhere between 9am and 12 noon, a problem for those of us who may find it difficult to sleep when it is light outside.

Since I live in a very nice rental house, the prudent solution would probably be to buy a nice set of drapes and hang them up with a nice blackout shade underneath them. It would be stylish and it would do the trick.

However, since this is a rental and not my own house.......and since I pretty much still feel like I live in a dorm since I have three roommates who are all younger than I am, I figured the cheap and effective way to go about battling the evil sun would be to use about 50 total feet of tin foil! Here is my project for your approval!

And here is a picture of the same spot in my room with the lights turned off.

You can tell its the same spot since you can see the light from the clock in the bottom center. The picture is just a little misleading since there is an extremely small fraction of light that somehow finds its way through the cracks in the tin foil (even though I double-plied and, in some spots, triple-plied it) and there is some light getting through the door cracks. But all-in-all, its a pretty successful experiment!

3 comments:

Tony said...

Um....now all you need is a oxygen tank some dried food and some Tang....

Capn' Salty said...

Not only does the foil keep the light out, but it also blocks those evil brain-scanning electromagnetic waves from infiltrating your room while you sleep. You should consider applying foil to the rest of the walls and ceiling to create a complete barrier. A foil helmet should also be worn at all times. Add colored pipe cleaners to it for a decorative twist!

hammie said...

heck, that's what Elvis did when he was in the hospital.