BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dropping Anchor

For those of you who don't know, I just moved here to Vegas in January. When I resigned my position at Bowling Green and moved out of my apartment there, I basically moved everything that I owned into my parent's house and crashed in their basement for a few months in preparation for the move out west (no, I didn't buy comic books and Star Wars action figures while living there!). During the move, I trashed my old bed, and all other furniture (TV's, couch, kitchen table, etc.) were either sold or integrated into my parent's place.

When I moved out here with my then roommate, Chris, I only brought what I could fit in my 4-door Chevy Cavalier........which was a surprising amount. Chris did the same in his mid-sized Ford. Obviously there was NO room for any type of furniture. Upon moving into our first apartment in the NW area of Vegas (near, but NOT in Summerlin), we picked up a bunch of old furniture for $100 and we both slept, quite comfortably, on $16 air mattresses. My little 13" TV that made the trek was propped up on boxes for our viewing enjoyment, and even after our 6-month lease had expired, I still felt like I was living in an apartment-version of a MASH unit. Pretty much everything I owned, I could still fit into my 4-door Chevy Cavalier and quickly move to some other far-off exotic part of the country!!

This held true, even after moving into my new apartment with Mikey here in Henderson. Sure, I bought a new TV and TV stand, but the TV could still fit in the car if needed (sacraficing some clothes or other non-essentials) and the stand could be sold. Same goes with my new computer and the desk its sitting on. However, last week I FINALLY updgraded from my trusty old air mattress to a very nice queen sized bed! No longer will I be able to pick up at a moment's notice and move out of town. Any move now must involve a U-Haul! So it looks as though I'm committed to staying here in Sin City, at least for the time being.

The before picture. Now I must work on upgrading my fancy Dole Banana night stand!


The after picture, my brand new queen sized bed!

1 comments:

Michael said...

Possibly, instead of a Dole banana box, why not cruise the grocery stores for the infamous Milk Carton, though I heard those are getting rare these days. A few of those, some cinder blocks, and some semi-straight boards, and you've got yourself a furnsished appt.