BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Former athletes turned broadcasters

One of the obvious career moves when an athlete's time on the playing surface has passed is to make the move to the booth. Being the sarcastic jackass that I am, I'd just like to take this opportunity to call out some of the worst sports broadcasters that I've seen. But first, I'll give a nod to probably my favorite ex-athlete turned commentator, Don Cherry! I'm sure 99% of the people reading this are asking, "who's Don Cherry?" The other 1% are probably rolling their eyes. But I compare good ole Don to Harry Carey, except his ramblings actually make sense most of the time. His wardrobes aside, Don exudes class, and when he does make the occasional controversial comment or crosses the line, it's because of his unending love and passion for the game of hockey. For those of you who are unware of Don, here's a little youtube vidoe to give you a taste. Pay special attention to his point starting at the 4 minute mark, which is just one example of why I'm such a fan!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bO_bhcAVQZo&mode=related&search=

But taking the low road, allow me to reel off just a few of the sports announcers out there that make me cringe everytime I see them on my precious HDTV.

Dan Fouts - "The game can't end on a defensive penalty", "The ground can never cause a fumble", and I'm sure there are other great misconceptions that have been propagated by idiots like Dan, making officials who actually know what they're doing look bad because they can't have the chance to sit down with this idiot for five minutes and introduce him to a great resource known as a RULES BOOK!

Shannon Sharp - It's all just clicks and whistles on my end.

Chris Collinsworth - It still surprises me how he can fit his ego into such small studios!

Tim McCarver - He continually overstates the obvious, but all the while throwing grammatical caution to the wind!

Feel free to add to the list.

0 comments: