BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Friday, October 12, 2007

PROOF!!!

May 26th, 1993. What significance does that date have when Major League Baseball is concerned? On that night occurred arguably one of the greatest sports bloopers of all-time! With nobody on and nobody out in the bottom of the fourth, Carlos Martinez of the Indians stepped up to the plate facing the Ranger's Kenny Rogers, and the following happened:

http://www.flicklife.com/f57a720d252cd069bcd3/Home_run_off_the_head.html

As you may have guessed, I was at that game. The problem is that if you were able to ask every person in the Cleveland area about that play, about half of them would also claim to have witnessed it live. According to the box score (
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE199305260.shtml), only 14,305 faithful Indian fans filed into the 74,000 seat Cleveland Municipal Stadium that night.

So as I was looking through some old boxes while back home in Ohio last week, I came across a stack of game tickets. For a while in high school and college, I saved EVERY single game ticket that I had ever gone to, and usually wrote the final score on the back. So as I was leafing through them, the ticket for that May 26, 1993 game seemed significant for some reason, and it only took me a second to remember why! So I can now offer proof that I was one of those 14,000 lucky fans.

One caveat though, when the play happened, it occurred in right field while we were sitting in the extreme upper deck behind the third base line. We got the tickets for free for having a good GPA in high school (thus the "high achiever" marking on the ticket), and I guess they like to hide the band geeks and nerds way up there. So when it went off his head, I had just though it hit his glove and bounced over. It wasn't until we got home that night and watched the highlights on the 11:00 news when I actually realized what happened!



2 comments:

Michael said...

I take offense to your generalization about Cleveland area people. I used to be one of those people, and usually still consider myself one. I have NEVER claimed to have seen that play live.

Just because I never actually saw the play until your blog post actually furthers my argument. How could I have claimed I watched something if I did not even know it existed?

Riddle me that BATMAN!

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks