BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Gen X


There's a chance that this could go down as one of the most boring blog posts of all-time, but here goes.

Everyone loves to save a penny or two when they get the chance, right? So as I walk up and down the isles at the grocery store, I usually go with the cheaper "store brand" items when I get a chance and when I know it works/tastes just fine when compared to the fancy schmancy "national brands". Since I usually shop at Smith's (a subsidiary of Kroger), that involves buying the Kroger brand or "Everyday Living" product. I've always had an unofficial list of things that are acceptable in the store brand and things that I just have to splurge on to get the better product. Seriously, more times than not, the Kroger brand is just fine and it seems the only difference between Kroger and the national are the price, and the fact that absolutely no advertising $ is spent on the store brand, thus keeping the cost down.

So here's a couple of lists. The first is of products that I seem to think its okay to buy that cheap store brand and the second is where I splurge.

El Cheapo is okay-o
- Most anything that goes into a recipe. For example, remember my balls at Christmas time? All four ingredience (chili sauce, cocktail sauce and both jellies) were Kroger brand. It seems if stuff gets mixed up into one big bowl of frap, generic's okay. When I make chili, Kroger diced tomatoes and kidney beans go in.
- Laundry Detergent - Seriously, I used Tide for years. Then one day I bought the Kroger brand laundry detergent and could tell NO difference at all. Clean is clean.
- Fabric Softener Sheets - The sheets you put in the dryer. I actually can't tell a difference between no sheets at all, except that the sheets seem to keep the static cling down. So a couple bucks on generic sheets every 9 months or so seems appropriate.
- DRUGS! - Yea, boy!! I really haven't used generic prescription drugs much, but I would if I had the chance. Also, I feel NO difference between Bayer, and Kroger brand aspirin. Same goes for NyQuil, which is very cleverly named "Nite Time" by Kroger. Both seem to kick my ass into bed all the same! Generic ibuprofen, vitamins and generic cold medicines also do the trick just fine.
- Shampoo - This gets a very marginal thumbs up. Generic Head and Shoulders vs. Kroger brand is exactly the same as far as results go. However, the scent of the generic shampoo can cause dizziness and should not be inhaled by someone who is pregnant, or may become pregnant! Since I go with Fructis now anyway, I guess this one should be sent to the list below. Screw it, it's 4am and I have work tomorrow.
- Soft Soap - I think Kroger brand actually works better! And if you're really cheap, you can buy one little soft soap dispenser of a name brand like Dial, and then refill it with with the gigantic Tub-O-Soap you can buy at Kroger. No one will be the wiser!
- Cleaning Products - The Kroger brand versions of Comet, Formula 401, Pine Sol, and toilet bowl cleaner give me just as big of bleach high as the name brands.
- Spices - With the exception of seasoned salt and maybe a couple others, most Kroger brand spices do the trick. Even the Kroger spices are pricey though.
- Disposable Razor Blades - The one-razor Bics give me just as clean of shave as those ridiculous FIVE BLADE MACH SUPER SONIC SHAVEMASTER 3000's.
- Kroger Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
- American Cheese Slices - I usually just use these for grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Soup - But only as part of a recipe, as noted above. Otherwise, splurge for some Campbells.
- Tin Foil
- Cooking Spray - Most people buy PAM, but I say Kroger brand works just fine.
- Hard Soap - Same as the shampoo, it works just fine but the scent has forced me to go with Irish Spring instead (I prefer the "micro-clean" with flavor crystals).
- Dish Soap - Both for the dishwasher and the regular kind. Once again, clean is clean.
- Garbage Bags - When I first bought Kroger trash bags, I expected to have problems like them tearing easily and whatnot. I've had no problems though.
- Canned Vegetables - I don't see much difference between a can of Kroger spinach and the Jolly Green Giant. Of course frozen is much better anyway.
- Sour Cream
- Bread - I do admit that name brand bread is better, but I guess I'm just not very picky when it comes to bread. I always opt for the 99 cent Smith's brand wheat.

El Expenso es Prefero!
- Hot Dogs - Generic dogs actually taste like their ingredients: lips and assholes.
- Salsa - Yuck. I go with Pace medium.
- Tortilla Chips - I've tasted cheap chips that are basically cardboard. Tostidos for me.
- Refried Beans - I do have a can of Kroger refried beans in my cupboard, but it's the last one. Actually, do I see a trend here? Perhaps Kroger needs to put some R&D into their "south of the border" line of products!
- Toothpaste - Okay, this brings up a whole new aspect of cheapness. I'm definitely willing to try most things in the generic form once, but NOT something like toothpaste. I brush 2 or 3 times a day, but it still takes me like a freakin' year to get through one tube. I'm not willing to suffer with a crappy product for that long just to try it out. Crest for me thanks (good ol' boring original paste). One caveat, I've NEVER had one cavity in my entire life.
- Shaving Cream - Unlike razor blades, you need to go high-end with the shaving cream. I have a can of that 99 cent Barbasol in my bathroom right now, and I can't wait for it to run out! I actually spray way too much into my hand each time just to try to get through it ASAP! Go with the EDGE pro gel. That stuff rocks!
- Paper Towels - I do find myself buying the Kroger brand here, but I don't know why. Brawny, etc. are so much better.
- Toilet Paper - C'mon, treat your ass right. It's the only one you got! Unless of course you're still in high school and go "T-P'ing" your principal's house! I think the generic stuff might actually be harder to clean up in that case.
- Lunch Meat - I do get the cheaper kind of lunch meat, but only at the deli counter, so the quality is still pretty high. Same goes with cheese. Personally, I think just about ANY pre-packaged lunch meat tastes gross, and I won't buy any if I happen to be in the store after the deli closes.
- Crackers - I do buy Kroger brand oyster crackers to put in soups, but for Club crackers, etc., I opt for the name brand. Being stuck in that tree all of their lives have given those elves some serious cracker expertise!
- Breakfast Cereal - "Toasted O's" don't stack up to Cheerios! Although I do like Kroger brand oatmeal. Is it just me or do those generic cartoon characters on boxes of "Choco-blast" or "Nut 'n' Crunch" look like they've emerged from that creek behind the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant!
- Cling Wrap - This gets the prize for most useless generic product EVER! I have a roll of Kroger cling wrap right now, and it's a magical roll of suck! It just WON'T RUN OUT! It doesn't tear correctly, and I'll be damned if I can make it stick to ANYTHING!

Okay, that's all I can think of now. Please feel free to add your own thoughts on stuff not included on either list.

7 comments:

Hurricane Mikey said...

That cling wrap sticks to itself pretty well, but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

"For example, remember my balls at Christmas time?"

No. Not at Christmas time or any other. I've never seen your balls, and it's good to keep it that way. And since I've never seen them, thank goodness, I can't remember it.

Now if only I could get that mental image to go away. Perhaps some generic dish soap will help. At least I don't waste money on the expensive stuff.

Rob said...

Lars, it's too bad you've never encountered my balls. Everyone that has just raves about them!
http://bp1.blogger.com/_q-Nng22Lka4/R3ABFPXzdOI/AAAAAAAAAMI/HIFjn24Ph_E/s1600-h/Robsballs.jpg

Anonymous said...

Oh THOSE balls.

They actually do look great. Rob, you've got very attractive, glossy, tasty looking balls. I am truly impressed.

I'll have to figure out how to get a mouthful or two.

Anonymous said...

JIF Peanut Butter can not be replaced! Most of the others I agree as well.

Anonymous said...

You forgot catsup! You have to go name brand. I changed to Hunts years ago as to not support John Kerry and his old lady.

Rob said...

Wait, catsup or ketchup?

I stick with Heinz because it is made in a hard-working, blue collar all-American city!

That also reminds me, Kroger yellow mustard is just fine with me.