BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fading into Internet Obscurity

Have you ever searched for yourself on the internet? I have, for no real reason other than curiosity. When I was working at the university back in Ohio, I had a small "about me" page on our department's web site. Therefore, I think my name (first,last) was #8 on the first page of a Yahoo search at that point.

I just tried to google search myself again, and I gave up on page 40! Yes, I am still in cyberland because a mention of me in attendance at a committee meeting was found in the search results by just adding one additional word. However, my name only no longer registers a result.

I did find a couple things that were interesting though. Some people out there who share my exact first and last name include a congressman, a former Minnesota Twins prospect and a registered sex offender in Florida (no, they're not all the same person).

Another thing I discovered is this blog's prominence within a google search. Try it. Type "flying winnebago" into a google search and see how far down the list I show up! Believe it or not, more than a few random people have discovered and visited this blog by typing those two search words into google. This is according to sitemeter.

Speaking of sitemeter information, I've started making a rough list of countries where visitors hail from, and weird referrals from search engine results. A sample of countries include USA, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, England and Portugal. A couple odd referrals include google searches for:

"Kroger Brand Detergent"
"Cartman-Colorado Winnebago"
"Hoover Dam Bypass Pictures"
"Road Trip to PNC Park"

And the creepiest of all, "Kentucky Fried Movie Shower Scene". I don't really want to know what exactly that guy was looking for, but I can guess it probably occurred at 3am in his parent's basement!

I'll probably keep you updated on this list every now and again. Nothing much exciting is happening here in Vegas-land. My nice night out last night consisted of a solo trip to the Las Vegas Wrangler's minor league hockey game. Wranglers were down 3-0, but scored 3 goals in the 3rd period and won it in a shootout! Goals 2 and 3 were scored SIX SECONDS apart!! It was the quickest goal I've ever seen! Clean faceoff win, quick pass, quick shot, GOAL! Tied up!

I will be having visitors in the next couple of months, which I'm excited about. My parents fly into town in 2 weeks, and will be spending an entire week here. Some friends from back in Columbus will be a making a whirlwind 4-day, 3-night trip for the first weekend of March Madness, and then the T2V crew arrives after that, with all the festivities in which that entails!! So I should have some pretty decent blog fodder in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Michael said...

YES!!! I'm glad you posted the weird search results which led to your blog. I've been entering one of those for a few days now, at two locations, and have invited friends in other areas to follow my lead. I'm glad I was able to make the list.

Anyway, this may lead to something. How about a contest to come up with the weirdest google keywords to get to your blog. You may have to make some limitations, like it has to be the first link, or it has to be on the first 10 links provided by google, etc.

This sounds like a good idea, but it will be hard to beat the shower scene guy, if the results fall within whatever limits you set up.

Anyway, great stats, and keep them comming.

Michael said...

Looking back at the blog, the entry of Dec 21, A couple of movie favorites.....

That blog entry had Kentucky fried movie as one of the movies to watch. I added in the shower scene in my comments there. that's how the random person looking for the shower scene at 3am in his parents basement found your blog!!

Neato-