BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Pizza Comparison

I got an email last week from one of the members of the Columbus crew that will be out here next week concerning the itinerary for their first day in Vegas. It seems that all of this pizza talk on my blog and Mikey's has got a few of them drooling for some good pie! The plan will be for them to arrive Wednesday morning, pick up their rent-a-car, and head out here to Henderson before doing anything else. Since they arrive in the morning, I can't be positive I'll be able to drag my ass out of bed right as they get here, but they'll probably go check out GVR first anyway, which is a place I don't really have a pressing need to be since it's literally a half-mile down the road from where I live.

After checking out the Ranch though, they definitely want to grab a bite to eat at one of the awesome pizza places they've heard so much about. Of course, one of the options is Grimaldi's down on Eastern, but my friend Michelle emailed asking about a place called Settebello, which is actually even closer to my apartment on Horizon Ridge Parkway. Rumor has it that the likes of Danny Ganz frequent this place. So I figured that would give me the perfect opportunity to scout out the place and let them know my thoughts for next Wednesday's meal.

Danielle picked me up around 8:30pm after getting out of her mid-term at UNLV early and we got there right before closing time at 9. We both opted to share an appetizer and also share one 12" pizza. The Focaccia was very good. I was expecting some sort of garlic bread off-shoot, but this was just the bread itself baked in the fired-oven with a hint of sea salt mixed in. The pizza we went with was my old stand-by of ham and onion. The picture is below. Apparently, it's tradition in Italy to serve the pizza unsliced, with a person either picking up the thing and folding it in half to eat it, or just systematically tearing at it. However, since we were sharing, we asked for it to be sliced, which wasn't a problem.

The pizza was just outstanding! Just like Grimaldi's, the sauce and mozzarella were nice and tasty and the toppings were top-notch! The one small beef I had with the toppings was that I guess I prefer fresh onions to roasted/sauteed onions since I like the crunchiness, which goes well with the ham and rest of the pie. But honestly, I'd have to say this pizza, in taste alone, sits right up on top with Grimaldi's!

So which place to go to next Wednesday? I'd have to give the nod to Grimaldi's for a couple of reasons. First, Grimaldi's has a much more extensive menu, which is a plus with big groups such as what ours will be. The other reason is that Settebello only has one size for all of their pizzas, which is a personal 12". That fit the bill last night since Danielle wasn't very hungry. If she was though, we would have been fighting over that thing like a pack of starving wolves over a kill! So I think it'll be nice to be able to get a couple/few bigger pizzas and Grimaldi's and split them amongst the group instead of having to order 7 separate personal pizzas for everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, Mike did not get you anything in Guadalajara.

Secondly, that was micheLe who asked about the pizza comparison, not micheLLe. The difference being that micheLLe had already set her hopes and dreams on Grimaldi's. I'm so excited you voted in my favor!!! The other place sounds good too, but I have to try Grimaldi's!

Third, you best get yoru lazy ass out of bed to visit with some of your most beloved friends or else no pizza for you! Yea! Take that!!

Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,

We tried Setabello when we visited LV in December. My husband had read about it on a food forum in Chicago and wanted to try it. There were 4 of us. We started with 2 salads to share, then moved on to the pizza. We ended up getting 3 or 4 of them, but asked that they come up one at a time, so they'd each be nice and hot. Otherwise we thought they'd cool off too quickly. The restaurant staff were very accomodating and timed it just right so as we finished one pizza, the next would arrive. We also had them sliced for easier sharing. My favorite of what we tried was the Margherita, while another favorite in our group was the Marinara (no cheese).

While we were dining, a family of 4 came in and sat at the table next to us. My husband and I kept staring at the man because he looked familiar, but dismissed it, thinking he just had a familiar face. After finishing, our friend (whose back was to this family) walked across the restauant to read a newspaper article they had posted, featuring one of their regular customers, Danny Gans. He called across the restaurant and said, "Hey, Danny Gans likes this place." My husband suddenly realized that was why this guy looked familiar!

That paled in comparison to the celeb sighting we had later that night when we met your roommate at his place of employment! We recommended Settebello to him since we know he's a pizza aficionado.

We liked Settebello so much, we ended up returning one more time before heading back home. It's definitely on our "to do" list for future trips, although I'd still like to try Grimaldi's, too.

Debbie (aka Coecat from T2V)