BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Monday, March 31, 2008

Did you blow bubbles when you were a kid?

Well he's back in town and wants your new phone number! :-)

Sorry, really bad joke from Amazing Jonathan, but the past couple days reminded me of it. Beginning last Wednesday, all of the folks from the T2V message board began filing into town. The week before was when all of my friends from Columbus visited, so I figured I'd be having yet another insane weekend of booze, partying, etc. It didn't really turn out that way though.

First off, I had to work on almost every night of the T2V festivities. On Thursday, I missed the little "happy hour" that Jack21 hosted due to a severe sore throat that I was battling. I did, however, muster up enough strength to go to the 2nd City show at the Flamingo that night with Danielle. But if the tickets hadn't already been purchased, I would have skipped out on that as well.

On Friday night, when the main T2V party was happening, I was still recovering from my sore throat and the cold had pretty much turned into a cough/sneeze-fest, with the throat feeling better. I had to work though, so either way I was screwed out of the partying. I did NOT want to miss the T2V private poker tournament the next day though, so since I was feeling a little better, I resisted the urge to call in sick to work and basically worked for poker that night.

On Saturday, I pulled myself out of bed (the shift the night before was a bitch!!) and dragged myself down to the Flamingo for the tournament. Even though T2V MMV had been in full swing for basically 3 days at this point, this was the first I was able to see anyone. Fortunately, almost ALL of the usual suspects were in attendance. Jack21, IllMarty, Doc Al, Shock, Jer, Sticky, Blackjack, Beach Crazy, LV Terry, Kikky, Mikey, Sin, Keno, Mikenhe and a horde of others (32 total entrants plus more interested spectators) were there. Of course Dougie was also there since he is the point-person involved in planning and implementing this tournament every year. He always does an EXCELLENT job!!!

As I just mentioned, 32 people took part in the event this year with a $65 buy-in. I NEVER play in no-limit hold'em tournaments, which is why I was dead set against calling in sick the night before because I was certain I'd just be donating my $65 to the T2V cause and I don't really have that much money to throw away these days. Much to my surprise, I did really well.....just not well enough. I was pretty conservative in the opening hour, pissing away a few chips here and there and stealing a couple blinds. I was in one of the most exciting hands of the entire tournament early on against Sticky. I raised pre-flop and she went over me with an all-in move. I quickly called and revealed my pocket-kings, which were up against her A-Q. The flop was nothing, but she caught a miracle ace on the turn. She had me covered so I figured I was dead. KING ME! I sucked out on the river, which pretty much crippled her.

After surviving that all-in moment, I did pretty well until the final table. I got lucky one more time on an all-in semi-bluff, but my open-ended straight was completed on the river and I made it to the final table (10 players) about in the middle of the pack. Fortunately, players 10, 9 and 8 were eliminated really quick. Unfortunately though, none of their chips came my way, so I was quickly becoming a short-stack. A very exciting hand occurred a little later which I think eliminated 7 and 6 in one hand! So it was down to the final 5 players. I was short-stacked, but if I could hold out for just one more elimination, I'd finish in the money!

As my opening joke hinted at though, it was not to be. I finished on the bubble in 5th place when my pocket-fours were cracked by a Q-2. As you'll see in the pictures, Dougie purchased a very nice parting gift for whoever was unlucky enough to finish on the bubble! It was a very fun tournament and I was glad to be able to briefly catch up with everyone having missed the "Party at the Palace" the night before.

The only other T2V event I was able to make it to was dinner last night at Grimaldi's. Danielle graciously tagged along to meet a couple of my internet geek-friends. Although it was cool seeing everyone and doing MUCH better in the tourney than I thought I'd do, I really hope to have some extra time and cash next year when the party returns!

Oh, one more thing. Thanks to the Coasters, the Flaggers and Lars for making it out and playing at my dice table Saturday night! We really appreciated the dealer bets guys. I truly hope I'm working at a joint next year that will be much easier to visit!

To my left at my starting table at the poker tournament were Vegas Jer and Sticky.

To my right on my starting table were Marty, Keno, Kikky and Blackjack (nice tattoo dude).

Here's my view of the final table. I can't remember everyone's name, but Shock is next to the dealer, then there's Jer, Lars Vargas, Dougie, Aggie (I think), Royal Flusher, and Don (I think). Kikky and I think Jen were to my right (not pictured).

Here are the top 3 finishers holding their celebratory shots of Patron. Royal Flusher (middle) took down 1st with Lars in 2nd and Kikky in 3rd. Also finishing in the money was Shock in 4th. You know, in this pic, Royal kind of looks like me, doesn't he???

Okay, here's the not-so-coveted prize for whoever finished on the bubble, which would be your's truly!

And here I am sporting my fancy new $65 fanny pack!

A good time was had by all Sunday night at Grimaldi's! That's a better picture of Dougie (on the left) who did just an awesome job of implementing the poker tournament again this year!

0 comments: