BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MyYearBook Layouts »

Friday, May 23, 2008

Monkies, Ants, Aliens, Russians....what's not to love?

Danielle and I saw the Indiana Jones movie last night down at Green Valley Ranch. I won't pretend to know how to write a complete movie review like the experts (such as Roger Ebert and Javier), but I wanted to give you my initial reaction to the movie before you go out to see it yourself. Both Danielle and I had heard about the mixed reviews for the movie before seeing it, so I figured it would probably be decent entertainment for 90 minutes, which is exactly what it was and nothing more. I really doubt if I'll go out of my way to rent it on DVD or try to see it anytime down the road, but I'm not completely unhappy with it.

I haven't seen any of the first three Indy movies in years, so I might be way off-base in saying that I don't remember any of the first three being completely unbelievable and over-the-top like what I saw last night. Yes, I do recall some of the crazy crap in the first three (like some dude watching his own heart beat after it getting ripped out of him), but I also remember that stuff working within the movie. Last night just seemed to be one insane scene after another just for the sake of jamming them all down the viewer's throats.

At many points throughout the movie I just expected the screen to pause just as Indy and his clan were about to crest a waterfall the size of Niagra, and then Waylon Jennings' voice comes on with a "Now can you believe the Duke Boys done got themselves into this crazy predicament? I don't know how they're gonna get outa this bucket of syrup!"

The first time I quietly uttered "this is Big Brown horse crap" to myself was when, somehow, a dude was swinging from jungle rope vines and actually keeping up with a car chase that was probably pushing 70mph! What?!?! I also did not care one bit for John Hurts' character, who was supposed to be a decrepit old crazy man, but somehow kept up with all of the characters during the chase scenes and aforementioned waterfall recoveries!

Oh well, like I said, it was good entertainment. But if you're a devoted fan of the first three movies and expect the same from this, you might be a bit disappointed.

2 comments:

Javier1171 said...

Haven't seen it yet and from what you said, it sounds like exactly what I expected it to be. Probably won't be going to the theater for this one. Love that Dukes of Hazard line ... on second thought, maybe I will see it just to see how bad it is.

Anonymous said...

I saw it on Thursday on opening night and I COULDNT AGREE MORE. I have seen the other 3 recently and I have to say I think Lucas has lost his touch, not that he was Hitcock to begin with considering my first viewing of his work of was when I was 5 and I couldnt get enough....but I think each of those crazy scenes was basically special effects saving writers block or more than likely alzheimers.

Any way your review is spot on. 90 minutes of nostalgic entertainment with A LOT of suspended belief. (Going into the movie I expected suspending belief with Harrison Ford playing Indy again..but not unlike Floyd, Rush & the Who...some 60 year olds still flat out just have it.)